Friday, 28 August 2009

france update no.6 FINALLY

So I have been here just over 3 weeks now, Its going by so fast! Sorry for lack of updates, everytime I start writing someone else needs the internet so I give up.

Im still here working at the surf hostel, Im now helping with breakfast every other day and doing the daily clean all the time. Its actually been really good because its meant that I have had more time to chat with the people staying here. Yesterday was my day off, and sure enough it rained most of the day. Today Im really busy and guess what, its sunny.
I have been having loads of fun though, from chasing bats around the upstairs of the hostel to having my hair hoovered.

Im still learning loads about the church here and in france as a whole, Im asking billions of questions whenever I can, and praying with some of the missionaries here weekly has been really amazing.

I feel exceptionally ordinary here, just like a passer-by who cant really do much. I really feel that God wants me to be here this summer though, I wouldnt be here if I didnt think that, but its just that I cant see why. Sure Im busy and doing loads but for me its grappling with whether what Im doing makes any difference at all. It doesnt feel particularly radical, Im not standing up in public and preaching the gospel, I dont feel like Im 'out there' . But yet, at the same time, I dont think the way that I live my life has ever been so watched and scruntinized. The guys I work with have a lifestyle that is totally different to my own, I get on really well with them but they say that they are fascinated by the choices I make and the things I do, and bizarely how happy I am. Not drinking excessively, not sleeping around etc seems the radical thing. And some of the conversations I have had with people have been great about why Im here. It has really made me think, is what I believe matched up by the way that I live and am I really showing God's love to people through everything I do- even first thing in the morning doing breakfast having had very little sleep. :)

There is a verse that really stands out to me at the moment, it is



Phillippians 2 vs14-15

"In everything you do, stay away from complaining and arguing. So that no one can speak a word of blame against you. You are to live clean, innocent lives as children of Gopd in a dark world full of crooked and perverse people. Let your lives shine brightly before them."

thank you to all of you who have been praying for me
:)

2 comments:

Sarah Richardson said...

keep on smiling Chloe and do explain the hair hoovering!!! Sounds like a good chance to show Gods love in practical ways to me. :o)

Zoe said...

I am going to be very cheesy and say that you will never be exceptionally ordinary to us, you'll always be the very very awesome and amazing Chloe :)