A friend here is one of the assistants for Spanish, she happens to come from Nicaragua and she is a Christian so I see her a fair bit at church and we chat (badly) in our common language. This week it was her birthday and I volunteered to make her a cake.
She said that she wasn't a particular lover of chocolate so that wasn't an option. I was a bit stuck because I wanted to make this cake really fun, then suddenly remembered a cake that one of my friends told me about, a rainbow cake.
So, six bowls and an obscene amount of food colouring later...
Sadly the colours weren't as bright as when I have made this one before, and I'm not quite sure what the frenchies made of it. Some liked it, others didn't really appreciate a good-old English sponge cake, which is basically what it was. One person explained to me that he had once tried scones in Ireland and not been able to go to the toilet for days after. I think generally they do find our cooking a bit 'heavy' compared to theirs!
Other than that, this week has been pretty standard, lots of singing songs about the months of the year and important things like that. I went to see 'The King's speech' at the cinema the other day with some other assistants, we actually found a time that it was on in English with subtitles. Really enjoyed it, although I felt sorry for the French because the subtitles really weren't a very good translation of the dialogue so they missed lots of funny bits, "pop" and "hubby" really didn't translate that well.
I feel like I should update you on my French too. Language wise I can have good days and then terrible days, sadly the terrible days are more frequent. I was told that when you start dreaming in French you are doing well. I dream in French, but only my nightmares are in French- coincidence? I think not.
:)
2 comments:
That looks like the most amazing cake ever!
Hope this week is a good one, sending love your way xxx
love the cake
I found myself speaking French this morning, completely by accident!!!! It's completely wrong. I ordered a pain au chocolate and immediately said s'il vous plait! Thing is I actually managed to do it twice. Obviously in my very poor language brain the word for chocolate croissant is "pain au chocolate s'il vous plait" It's a single word.- much better than a night mare. :D
Post a Comment