Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Whatever happened to eight year old me? Hard work induced musings.



I was looking after the dog and cats this weekend and as a thank you my landlady brought me back some plant thing which apparently is Mimosa- it is so beautiful and smells incredible.

I'm mainly writing this because I'm meant to be working on my Uni dissertation thingy which is DULLLLLLL and makes me read about syllabification and trochaic articulatory filters and other things that I'm struggling to understand in English, and haven't got a hope of translating into French.

Ma vie over here is going pretty quickly, 5 months in and I'm used to it all but it doesn't stop me having moments where I realise where I am and what I'm doing, those strange moments when I stop and think and the weirdness of it all hits me.

My family are miles away, a distance that often feels more than it actually is. I live alone in a small chalet type thing in a garden in south-west France. I have a salaried job where I am responsible for the education of others. I have to deal with bills, paperwork, cooking, cleaning and mending things without assistance or moral support. And the only time I'm likely to be at my family home this year is Christmas and Easter.

I think it's the realisation that somehow without me noticing I'm beginning to grow up. It's funny how 'home'is a physical place where I spend less and less time but one that consumes my thoughts everyday, no matter how long I spend in other places it's always my most important place.

I'm sure everyone has these bizarre realisations when they take a look at their lives and realise they aren't actually that eight year old any more, thinking 'Anon' is a famous poet and 'Scotland Yard' is actually a yard in Scotland. And it's not bad, just weird.

have a happy Tuesday
:)

1 comment:

Chris Richardson said...

They say growing old is compulsory but growing up is optional. This independence lark is odd, it sneaks up on you. You find yourself doing grown up things, even if didnt want to. Next thing you will find is that you start taking responsibility for stuff. That is really OLD!