Saturday, 9 October 2010

Only in france...

I have been doing lots of stuff recently everything is busy busy busy, I have just had a week of training. I will update what I have been up to soon but for now...

More insights into the french kind.

1) Food, its not just sustenance, its a way of life. Its an obsession. Small talk is not about the weather, its about food here. I was at dinner the other night with a French couple and we talked about food most of the time, they said that this was normal and that in certain regions when people meet at the office many don't ask 'how are you?' they ask 'what did you eat yesterday'. Then, apparently, they spend the rest of the day discussing what they are going to eat in the evening.
The périgord lot (where I live) are duck munchers. poor ducks, every part of them is eaten. I had part of a ducks throat the other night- actually very yummy.

2)What I will call the 'pfffftttt'.
noise made to indicate:
a)they do not know the answer to a question they have just been asked
b)they are guessing in their answer of a question- usually it can be heard preceding the 'bahhh...'
e.g person: quelle heurre est-il?
frenchie: pffffftttt, bahhh.... 8 heurre?

3) when entering a shop the shop assistant will say 'bonjour' you must also say 'bonjour' when exiting a shop the shop assistant will say ' au revoir' you also say 'au revoir'. It is apparently rude not to.

So, I leave you for the moment, better informed of course.
:)

2 comments:

Sarah Richardson said...

It's good to be better informed. I'm also amused by the fact that even the rubber ducks in the area look aware of the fact that duck is much favoured there. He doesn't look like a happy duck!! I think we need to come and visit though duck is my favourite meat.

Adrienne said...

hahaha i would love to talk about food all day!!
sounds great though
i am praying for you lovely
x