I spend a lot of my time feeling like a real idiot out here, I can't say that I enjoy the feeling either.
So, often now I don't listen carefully enough to what people are saying to me and I think I can just reply quickly and something will come out of my mouth that makes sense. However, this has a tendency to backfire on me. Yesterday my landlady asked me how I thought my French was and I somehow replied 'it's super'- showing just how bad my French really is. So, I spent the rest of the car journey trying to undo what I had just said, not by going back on my word ( because then she would know that I clearly hadn't comprehended the question) but by chatting about what I was finding hard, all the while trying to use my best French to uphold the image that my French really was 'super'. These are the kinds of linguistic knots I get myself in on a pretty daily basis.
It's like when you just begin to learn a language and you can only say a few things so you end up lying in all your exams... if anyone ever talks to my old German teacher I do have a sister and I did do my work experience in a shop.
Also, today I had to go home from school because I was feeling ill, this hasn't happened in a very very long time. I wanted my mum to come and pick me just for nostalgia's sake.
Ne t’inquiète pas, I think its just a migraine or something, I got off the bus seeing double and with a splitting headache and feeling sick. Not what you want when you have to attempt to teach 6 classes of children. I was thinking yesterday how well I was doing to not come down with the flu, stomach bugs, head lice, cooties, rabies and whatever else these small children have.
:)
2 comments:
Oh Dear! good job Jesus is there to look after you!
have a long distance hug. Your French is super. very super compared to mine!! I cant even manage english.
Ahh yes feeling like an idiot in France, i almost miss that feeling! It is definitely one that ALL normal language students get on the year abroad. When I went into hospital in France when I hurt my ankle some med students were asking me questions to fill in this questionnaire. They asked me something...I couldn't understand what but knew it was a yes/no situation. Went for 'yes' and they replied "You are pregnant?!" Had to backtrack there pretty quick!
Keep going and just talk whenever you can no matter what reaction you get-you're a lot better than a lot of people. In my experience you're learning more than you think you are :)
xxxx
Post a Comment