So what have I been up to?
Another one of the assistants arrived (an american) and we have been trying to get lots of things sorted, like french mobile phones and bank accounts. Along with the immense bureaucracy I have also spent a lot of time eating wayyy too much. Loads of bread, pastries, waffles and crepes.
A problem that is beginning to arise is that I really really cannot speak french. Im finding it really hard. I don't have to speak all the time (helped by the fact that I live alone!) but when forced to communicate noise comes out but definitely not french.
Yesterday I managed to say that I was born in 1970, luckily I quickly realised my mistake and managed to correct it. Today I was getting my numbers even more confused, saying my date of birth was the 80th of the 3rd. I think I freak in conversational situations and then forget everything I know.
I opened a bank account today, at least I think I did. I feel like such a looser, failing to be understandable. We use language to express so much, to be welcoming and friendly and polite, what we say determines out relationship with others and what they think of us. I feel like all I can do at them moment is smile and say 'merci' rather too much!
I have been invited to dinner tonight by some people that I met briefly at church- which is very kind of them. However, its always awkward when you have a meal with people you don't really know- you rely on small talk. I HAVE NO TALK, let alone small talk.
I'm going to a fitness class with my landlady this evening too. It could be amusing! Hopefully I will understand it and she won't put me to shame fitness wise :)
2 comments:
keep smiling! :=)
Don't worry, I'm sure the French will improve really quickly once you get the hang of it. By the end of the year you'll be amazing!
Post a Comment